25 Tips to Fighting the Holiday Bulge
Let me help YOU make your New Year’s Resolution of “Getting in shape” this year a reality! Follow this Fit Guide To Surviving the Holidays.
1. Start your day strong with a healthy breakfast. If you don’t, you will tend to overeat the rest of the day. Good rule to follow: eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and supper like a pauper.
2. Curb your appetite. Drink a glass of water before every meal. It will help you fill up faster and help you eat less.
3. Slow down. Eat slower and taste your food. It takes about 20 minutes for your brain to recognize how much is in your stomach. It is a good idea to take a break after you eat to lessen the temptation to go for another serving!
4. Stay active. Exercise with your family and go for a walk or jog outside! Sign up for a Turkey Trot or Christmas Jingle Bell Run 5k to do with your family over the holidays.
5. Keep a food diary. Tracking everything you put into your body will help to point out your weaknesses. You will then be able to focus on limiting your intake of certain foods and spot when you missed a meal. What you measure you can manage!
6. Choose to eat clean 80-90% of the time. Eat more protein, vegetables and fruit and healthy fats like nuts and seeds. A handful of almonds or a freshly sliced apple is a great snack to curb your hunger!
7. Don’t go anywhere hungry. Try to arrive at any holiday parties having already eaten something healthy. That way you won’t be too prone to digging into high-calorie party foods. Also, bring a healthy option to a holiday party!
8. Maintain portion Control. Pay attention to how much you put on your plate. Use smaller plates. Moderation is one of the most important elements in weight control – especially at holiday parties!
9. Choose water over Alcohol. Drinking water in place of alcohol will keep you hydrated and keep your energy level high. Also – it is amazing quickly calories in alcoholic drinks can add up! Try not to drink your calories for the day!
10. Don’t eat things if you don’t like them. Sounds simple enough! If you put it on your plate and it doesn’t taste as good as you thought, why eat it?
11. Don’t give up! Falling out of habits you are trying to accomplish for a few days, DOES NOT mean your effort is hopeless. Simply acknowledge that you ‘slipped up’ or ate poorly and get back on your plan. New day, new start!
12. Exercise on days you eat a holiday meal. Try to get a workout in on the days you know you will have a big holiday supper that day. Your metabolism will be running higher and chances are you will choose better foods!
13. Decide how many drinks you are going to have before the party. Choose light and clear alcohol over dark, and alternate between an alcohol beverage (if you are drinking) and water (same goes for soda). This cuts 100’s of calories!!!!
14. Eat more vegetables. Try to fill half of your plate with vegetables.
15. Wrap up leftovers immediately. If you wrap them up, you less likely to eat them mindlessly when you are already full.
16. Say “no” to keeping unhealthy leftovers in the refrigerator. These foods will tempt you! It is best to keep your kitchen full of healthy foods so when hunger strikes, you don’t have high calorie options to choose between.
17. Use the dirty napkin trick. When you want to stop eating throw a dirty napkin over your food.
18. Throw the snack plate away. When at a party, if the plate is plastic, toss it. If it is a dish put it in the sink. The longer you hold on to your plate, the more you will eat.
19. Trim all the fat. If you are cooking it, do it before you cook it. If you didn’t cook it, just trim it off before eating.
20. Split dessert with somebody. This way you will only have half the calories!
21. Set goals for yourself over the holidays. Read them first thing in the morning, throughout the day and before bed. Share these goals with somebody to help you stay accountable!
22. Brush your teeth. Brush your teeth after you eat so that you won’t continue eating. Or, keep chewing gum with you and do that instead!
23. Leave the kitchen. Don’t hang out by the food table at home or at parties. Too much mindless eating!
24. If eating out, put half the meal in a box before you start eating. This will help you with portion control!
25. Make a workout calendar for yourself! Commit to a certain number of days per week that you exercise. Mark them off with a marker to show your progress.
Committed to your health and fitness success.
Karina Cross - Master Trainer ACSM ASFA ALPOFI IHP TRX Owner Karina Cross Fitness Co-Owner/Founder Forever Fit, LLC
CAN YOU GUYS BELIEVE IT IS DECEMBER ALREADY?
“This December and January we are running a special for those who want to pay their 2020 membership fee in full. Between Dec 1 and Jan 15 if you pay in full, you will receive a 17% discount — that’s a $40 (or two month) savings! “
Ask Christin or Karina for this great deal.
Remember we are celebrating our FIRST CHRISTMAS PARTY!
When: Friday Dec 6th, 2019 From: 5:00PM to 8:00PM Location: Karina Cross Fitness Studio
2454 Hudson Road. Greer, SC 29650
It's Foodie Friday Again at Karina Cross Fitness.
This month is typically filled with eating out, eating too much, and eating a lot of the wrong things. Consider these "No Bake Chocolate Peppermint Protein Balls". Take some time to "no bake" something good for you (and for your family) to snack on.
Check our Facebook page this Dec 6th, for the recipe.